Calendar in MS Project is useful to set up working and non-working hours or days as per the organization’s or project’s working timings. User can use MS Project’s in-built calendars or customize them or build new calendars as required.
MS Project provides in-built calendars, which can be used as according to common needs of project. Here are the 3 base calendars:
1. Standard: Working time Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with lunch from 12 to 1 p.m.
2. Night Shift: Working time Monday-Friday from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m. with lunch from 3 to 4 a.m.
3. 24 Hours: Working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, suitable for projects that run three shifts or tasks that run 24 hours a day.
These in-built calendars are available at Project tab => Change working time command
Calendar can be applied at 3 levels in MS Project. They are
1. Project calendar: sets the standard working days and times for the entire project
2. Resource calendar: suitable if an individual or a group of resources work in specialized schedules
3. Task calendar: special work times that apply only to specific task(s).
New calendars can be created through Project tab => Change working time command => Create new calendar button.
By clicking on ‘Create New Calendar’ button, user can either create a new base calendar or make copy of existing base calendar e.g copy of standard base calendar.
Once the user clicks on OK, it create new calendar say ‘24x7Coach Calendar’. User can see the dialog that shows the legend, month-year calendar and two tabs
• Work Weeks: Work weeks identify the workdays and non-workdays in a 7-day week, as well as the work hours for each workday. User can set the working hours on given day in given date range.
• Exceptions: mainly for nonworking time, holidays. Setting up recurring exceptions is also possible through this.
To change the default behavior for example Monday as holiday instead of Saturday & Sunday, user can simply follow this instructions:
• Create a new calendar
• Click on work week tab
• Select row ‘default’ and click on details
• Select Monday and select ‘Set days to nonworking time’ radio button
• Select Sunday & Saturday, select ‘Set day(s) to these specific working times’ and set from and to time as 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 01:00 PM – 05:00 PM.
That’s it new calendar ready with Monday as holiday.
If you want to move or copy a calendar from one project to another, please visit our other article Copy calendar from one project to another project.
If you want to delete a calendar that is not required any more, please visit our other article Delete Calendar.
If you want to display your calendar in the gantt chart time scale, please visit our other article Showing new calendar non-working day in gantt chart timescale.